Friday, October 24, 2008

At Bangkok

So here it is. My first post from the land of smiles. We don't have internet at our place, so I feel rather stupid to post from an internet cafe. I would really like to post some insanely crazy pictures, but I guess it'll have to wait. This internet cafe is full of insane Thai people playing first person shooter games etc. Pretty stereotypic, especially the guy sitting next to me, playing some dance game. But to what has happened.

The plane ride from Oulu to Helsinki was pretty normal, like always. Then the almost 10h flight from Helsinki to Bangkok was awful, and my hangover didn't help it at all. When we finally arrived to Bangkok at 10am, I was so excited that the plane flight didn't matter at all. The second I stepped out from the airport, it hit me. Hard. +30-35 moist weather is pretty big change for a Finnish guy. Even though I've been in several hot European countries, this was something I have never been against before. But few days of this weather has helped us to adapt to it really nicely.

After the airport we took taxi to our apartment. It's really a shame, that I can't upload the pictures, but bare with me, I will do so next week. From our other balcony we have a view to our school and really nice bangkok style small river with palm trees around. We even saw some monkey in one of the trees the first day! From our other balcony we have a more suburban view, but a lot of nature there also.

After checking out apartment and leaving our bags there, we went to eat with the 2 Finnish exchange girls to some mall near us. Again we took taxi and went to some really cool thai style restaurant. I ate rice with grilled shrimp and vegetables + chili soup and big coke. I ended up paying something like 1 euro for the food, yes, in restaurant. The food tasted really good and was put out very nicely. You see only something like that in Finland, when you go to some high class Asian style restaurant and end up paying a lot more. Too bad that I wanted to test how spicy the food actually is in Thailand. This ended up to be a mistake and I was almost, literally dying. After that we browsed some stores, and then took taxi back to our apartment. After that we did what we do best, got drunk. At big markets they start selling booze only at 5pm, which was a shock to us. We waited for clock to be like 4:30pm, went for a walk around and to shop to buy beer like 5:10pm. So Finnish.

At something like 10:30pm we took a taxi to this Khao San Road, which is supposed to be one of the biggest party streets in Bangkok with people all around the world. This proved to be totally correct. This is like the place for sin. You can get basically anything here from shemales to cocaine. First we went to some smaller place for a beer. There was some live band playing, which played pretty good Rock N Roll. Then we went to this rock bar, where there was a live band also playing. Here we met our new friend from England. A black guy called M-J, who lives here. After a while we took a taxi with him to his place. Everything was really cool, and after that we took taxi back to our apartment.

Next day we woked up and went to eat in some more 'safer' place. We took taxi and went to the same mall we were at first day to a restaurant and ordered stakes. I ate pork, medium grilled, with salad and garlic bread. For drink I took a coke. I ended up paying something like 2 euros and something, for this really good food. After that we took almost 3 hour walk around old Bangkok. Nothing crucial happened, just really cool views and glimps of the real Thai culture, not the tourist bullshit you get. In the end we didn't have the slightest clue where we was, so again, we took a taxi to home. Getting taxi is like the best thing in whole world here. We have never walked over 1 minute next to a bigger road, without someone pulling over offering a ride. Riding them is practically free. For a long 15min trip from our place to this mall, called MBK, costs something like 2 euros. At home we showered and went there.

The mall was insane. I bought DC, EA and element t-shirts for like 10 euros. The material is really good, equal to finnish t-shirts from which, I pay 30-40 euros for piece. Then I bought some boxers for about equal price. Too bad the mall was starting to close, so we missed a lot of shops. But hey, time is all we have. After small shopping we want to this thai fast food place, called Santa's. I ate spaghetti with pork with large coke, and paid less than 1 euro for that. After the mall closed, we went for a walk ourside. We saw some heavy metal band playing outside with a lot of people watching it. After browsing around, we went to Starbucks for drink. I took some iced fruit drink, which was a really good purchase. We sat outside and watched the endless flow of people and cars. After that we found Hard Rock Cafe accidently. We went inside for a beer. The second we sat to our table some Thai girl came to me and asked me to buy her a drink. I guess she was one of the Bar Girls of Thailand everyone mentions. Politely I declined and she got pissed, stood around for a while and walked away pissed. We drank a beer and watched some really cool Thai band playing covers of RHCP, No Doubt etc. Definately place to visit again. After that we still took a small walk and then taxi to home.

At home we weren't tired, so we took a walk again, around our part of the town. Then we watched some movie and went to bed.

This morning we woked up and visited our school. Apparently the guy is in vacation until Monday, so nothing happens before that. Now we come to current time. We are sitting here in an internet shop. Now it's time for us to leave and head to some restaurant for food. Most likely to this really cool looking stake house, impossible to say. At evening we are going out, but don't know yet where. Tomorrow M-J invited us to come see his Reggae gig to some really cool place. Definately something we will do. So now we're off to eat and swim / take sun to pool.

In my next blog I will focus more on how things work here and so forth. Finally I'd like to apogolise for the bad English I used here. Since I don't have time to double check my writings and I have written straight from my mind, without thinking does it actually even sound correct.

Take care and have fun !

-Ilkka

No comments: